Wednesday, April 15, 2009

THE ZOO VISIT

I had already been to Lincoln Park and was aware of its conditions, so on top of the reading and looking over the website I knew how I was going to feel. I was put on the positive team and had the hardest time trying to be positive. I wouldn’t say that I like zoos but I believe there are ones that have facilities, which are adequate enough for their animals. After the first visit my feelings for the Lincoln Park Zoo was reaffirmed- I did not like that zoo. But upon the second trip, through collecting data, where I was actually gathering information and writing down what others had to say I was able to realize I was half wrong. I didn’t have the data I was looking for to support the general thesis that this was a horrible zoo. While some of the zoo’s facilities were inadequate, I do feel like there were certain aspects of it that were positive. I think through re-going I was able to let my guard down because I just figured I would see the same bad things I had seen before. Sure some of them were still there, such as the single bear that paced back and forth and the zoos lack of educational signage for its patrons, but I also observed children learning and saw animals such as the warthogs that had plenty of space and seemed comfortable.

No comments: