Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tokyo cat cafes booming

Leave it to our kindred post-industrial powerhouse urbanites, the Japanese, to innovate like we wouldn't even imagine. Of course there are all sorts of things to consider in terms of the human animal and its need in the city life of this new- century...

One rule in the cafes that I found interesting and sweet: Don't wake a napping cat"

I do that to my resident cat all the time, but I guess Louise and I have an understanding.

"I first heard of Calico cat cafe when it opened in March 2007, but then it was an oddity and the preserve of lonely women and cat fanciers. It is now staggeringly popular. This March it opened a second branch in the high-rent Shinjuku business and shopping district. Last October it published a glossy coffee table book featuring its "feline staff." The original branch is so packed that reservations are recommended on weekends."

This seems to ride off the earlier trend of Rental Pets

Here s a range of cat cafe articles of late:

Reuters
Huffington Post
Christian Science Monitor

ay

No comments: