Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wolf and Humans Interacting. Video and Photos

Here are some photos of me being greeted by the alpha female of the pack I work with. You'll notice that she's mouthing me and licking me. Wolves greet each other face to face and react the same way when they greet humans.




And here's a video of some interactions between the pack and my friend.

This is what's known as a rally and my friend was caught in the middle. The wolves all get together and howl as a family rallying to each other, licking at each others faces, and sometimes it can turn into a display of dominance as you will see at the end of the video. I partially instigated this with a howl, but only because a wolf in another enclosure started howling.

You'll notice that one wolf in particular seems to be in my friend's face all the time and has to be pushed away. This is because Dyami has a tendency to be extremely over enthusiastic during howls and rallies and will nip and mouth your face if you let her. This is natural wolf behavior as subordinate wolves will lick and nip at the dominants muzzle during a rally, but it's uncomfortable for us.



If the embed doesn't work here's a direct link to the video on my photobucket account.

I hope to have at least another video up soon of tug of war between Dyami and my friend.

No comments: