Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Zoo Reflection

I think few people could honestly say they don't enjoy being able to experience wild animals in the flesh rather than just seeing them on tv or in a picture. Going to the zoo has always been an interesting and exciting trip for me but I have always been weary of the way they are being held as prisoners and looked at as objects or possessions while not in their native habitat. During our first trip to the zoo, I was on the con team.. and there were quite a few things I had problems with but at the same time I learned a lot as well. I believe the zoo should put more effort into providing equally equipped habitats for the animals, being that many of them like the penguins, sea birds and some of the outside areas were not as luxurious and well kept as other environments like for example the monkey house. As the whole class discussed, I also had a problem with the mixing of entertainment and conservation/education which should be dealt with in separate ways. Overall, I believe that it is a valuable institution, more than I believed it was before our visits and it does a lot in educating people of all ages about our beloved creatures of the earth. Although I don't think the amount of animals they are currently housing is necessary, having fewer or just certain types of habitats would be interesting and adequate enough and comunicating the same messages they are trying to get across.
-CM

No comments: