Monday, February 2, 2009

Puppy Bowl V

Yesterday I watched some of the Superbowl in the companionship of my friend's Miniature Fox Terrier, Rocket. He jumped on my lap and started greedily drinking the beer in my glass, which I have to say surprised me. To think that this little guy derived from a wolf, sitting on my lap, sipping suds, and his kin taking part in the alternate superbowl - yes, I am talking about Puppy Bowl V.

The Animal Planet channel has taken domestication to its next post-industrial step: commerical sports. I think it is really more like rugby than football given the dogs don't in fact where helmets, right? What's interesting about dog play and soprts play though is that the former has no points, which is kind of a relief.

If you want to get a glimpse of last year's puppy bowl it is also out on the interwebs (but naturally, isn't this exactly what youTube caters to?) Last year's bout doesn't look as good as this year's game - I suspect the players from last year already retired anyway....

AY

No comments: